Who doesn’t love burgers? You see them at every back yard BBQ, family gatherings, and even on your dinner tables. They’re…American tradition! Here is an easy way for us trying to remain ‘whole – mind, body and soul’ to delight in this delicious tradition while keeping a clear conscious when it comes to health and nutrition!
Benefits! We want to be eating food that gives more than it takes from us, right? Lamb is packed with benefits! Not only is it a rich source of high-quality protein, it is also an outstanding source of many vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Woo! Compared to other meats, such as beef and veal, lamb contains the highest amounts of conjugated linoleic acid. Conjugated linoleic acid has been linked with various health benefits such as reduced body fat mass.
We’re also going to change the tradition up a bit and eat it on a bed of collard greens with Tzatziki sauce instead of the poster-board bun and ketchup. Healthy and fancy! Cuts carbs plus it’s perfect for those who are grain-free! If you’ve never made or tasted Tzatziki sauce, trust me, its easy, healthy AND delicious.
Okay, lets do this! Sauce first.
For the Tzatziki
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 med cucumber peeled, seeded, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Try to get excess water out of the cucumber by putting the chopped cucumber on paper towels and squeezing the pieces.
- Open up the can of coconut milk and scoop out the cream that has risen to the top. You need about 1/2 cup.
- Put the garlic, cucumber, and lemon juice in a high speed blender or food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add in the coconut cream, dill, salt, and pepper and blend until well combined. The sauce should be a bit chunky.
4.Once blended, pour into airtight container and place in fridge. The flavors will marry each other in there while you’re tending to the burgers!
We’re half way to dinner!
For the Burgers:
- 1 lb grass-fed ground lamb
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Chili garlic sauce (leave out if you don’t like spice)
- Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp water
- tsp coconut oil to grease pan
- Collard greens rubbed in lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, gently combine the ground lamb with the green onions, dill, oregano, mint, chili sauce, and water. Sprinkle the mixture with fine grain sea salt, then form into 4 equal sized patties. Make sure to Not over mix the meat.
- Heat your grill up. Spread some coconut oil on each burger.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook on each side about 4 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and serve over collard greens, and top with tzatziki sauce. Garnish with some cherry tomatoes and savor your delicious dinner!
I like to eat this along side some grilled asparagus to dip in the tzatziki sauce. Comment below how you made it your own and had fun with the recipe!
If you love this recipe, your friends might too. Feel free to share or pin it!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media to see all my new recipes as I post them!